Prathidhwani‘s Campaign against atrocities towards children
“Children in Kerala are not safe, not even in their homes”, it is the take out from news paper headings in Kerala Child abuse and molestation is on rise beyond compare!.
In today’s IT world people doing extended working hours is normal. Where are IT couple’s children? .
They Must be in 1) some day care, 2) with servants or 3) few lucky one’s with their grand parents. Break down of traditional family system into micro and children living an “Independent life after marriage” has necessitated 1 and 2 options as the maximum.
How do we ensure our children are safe?
We are living in a world where more individualization of life is happening, we are comfortable not bothering to the sounds or screams next wall !
They are in tender ages and they cannot speak up what they are subjected to!!
Few Incidents Happened in Kerala in the recent past
1. Aksa, 4 years was subjected to sexual and physical torture by his mother’s lover and died with broken spine.
2. Shafeeq, 4 years was subjected to gruesome torture by step mother and father and was in ventilator for weeks, he is recovering in Velloor.
We need to understand “Children are assets of society than family”. They are future work force of nation. If they are mistreated, they are criminals of the future!
A society need to swing into action in this juncture than being merely spectators and sympathizers in TV channels and Social Media. How this issue could be tackled from an individual perspective as well as social perspective?
Few suggestions which came up are
1. Extend Secular Social Vigil of Resident associations or communities
2. Make Laws which Mandates Physical check up of children till Age of 10 by government doctors, at least once in 6 months.
3. For Working Mothers, amend labor laws so that ‘work from home’ can be taken in a higher frequency
4. Higher maternity Leave duration for Women employees.
Prathidhwani will soon come up with a commenting section in our website for more suggestions. We will consolidate the suggestions and send to responsible authorities.
Thanks & Regards,