Justice Verma Committee : Public Notice
1.The recent incident of rape and brutal assault on a young woman in Delhi has shook the conscience of the nation and has triggered a serious debate amongst jurists, civil society members and women’s groups about the inadequacy of the present laws to protect the safety and dignity of women.
2. The Government has given anxious consideration to the need for reviewing the present laws so as to provide for speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault. For that purpose, a committee has been constituted by the Government on 23.12.2012 under the Chairmanship of Hon. Justice (Retd.) Shri J.S. Verma, former Chief Justice of India. The other two members are – (i) Hon. Justice Smt. Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court, (ii) Shri Gopal Subramaniam, former Solicitor General of India, former Chairman of Bar Council of India and eminent Jurist.
3. The Committee has to submit its Report within 30 days and therefore, looking for responses from across the country from eminent jurists, legal experts, women groups and civil society members.
4. This Public Notice is hereby served to all members of the public, eminent jurists, legal professionals, NGOs, Women Groups and civil society members to share with this committee their ideas, knowledge and experience so as to suggest possible amendments in the criminal laws and other relevant laws to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment of criminals accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women.
5. Since the Committee is hard pressed for time, the Committee requests the public through this Notice to submit their responses through e-mail at email@example.com. They may also send their responses through fax at 011- 23092675.
6. The Committee requests the members of the public to send their valuable suggestions latest by 5th January, 2013 so as to enable the committee to complete its report and submit its recommendations within one month from today.